Many times there will be a second person available that can act as a second team member. Send this person to call EMS and find an AED while you begin CPR. When the second rescuer returns, the CPR tasks can be shared:
- Have the second rescuer prepare the AED for use.
- Begin chest compressions and count the compressions aloud.
- The second rescuer applies the AED pads.
- The second rescuer opens the victim’s airway and gives rescue breaths.
- Switch positions after every five cycles of compressions and breaths. One cycle consists of 30 compressions and 2 breaths.
- When the AED is connected, minimize interruption of CPR by switching rescuers while the AED analyzes the heart rhythm.